What to do in Vejer in the Summer II
- Vejer is more than beach and nature. It is also synonymous with culture.
History, culture, contemporary art, charming markets .... Near Vejer there are endless places to visit and activities that will surprise you.
We propose below a selection of eight ideas that will not leave you indifferent:
- Visit the NMAC Foundation, a museum of contemporary art with outdoor sculptures just five kilometres from Vejer. It contains land art and site specific projects (works created for a specific place) by artists such as Marina Abramović, Santiago Sierra, Pascale Marthine Tayou, Maurizio Cattelan and Olafur Eliasson. The newspaper El País recommends an essential sunset visit of Second Wind 2005, by the American artist James Turrell (Los Angeles, 1943).
F. Billiet - Foto: cadizturismo
- Relax with a lovely night walk through the romantic and narrow streets of Vejer.
- Immerse yourself in history by visiting the historic Cape Trafalgar (15 km away). Historically, this area is known for the famous Battle of Trafalgar of 1805, which confronted the British fleet against a combined Franco-Spanish fleet, and which was the last major war action in the sea of this period. Another corner that you can not miss is the ruins of Baelo Claudia, on the beach of Boloina (33 km). Declared a National Historic Monument, it is a Roman city-factory that is a real surprise with its state of conservation. It was very important at the time for its canned and salted sauce called garum, which was exported throughout the empire.
- Enjoy one of the most characteristic markets of the province, the Plaza de Abastos de Cádiz (45 km), opened in 1838 and remodeled in 2009. You can take the opportunity to discover the oldest city in the Western world through its charming streets , monuments, parks and its people.
- In Jerez (50 km away) enjoy its famous wine cellars. It has more than forty wineries, whose fortified sherries are internationally renowned. Visits and wine tasting are available throughout the summer.
- Not far from Vejer are Medina Sidonia and Tarifa, two towns that house a rich legacy of monuments, history and incredible views
- A highly recommended excursion is also a day visit to exotic Tangier, the most northern city in Africa. You can do the trip in a single day leaving Vejer at eight in the morning, catching the ferry in Tarifa for a 50 minute journey, spend the day in Tangier and you can be back in Vejer at ten at night. Ask for more information in reception.